For the dough:
■ 75g|2/3 cup plain flour
■ pinch of baking powder
■ pinch of salt
■ 1 tablespoon of water
■ 2 egg yolks
■ 1/2 teaspoon of lard
■ 1 litre|quart of cooking oil
For the frosting:
■ 90g|1/2 cup castor sugar
■ 2 tablespoons of water
■ 2 drops of vanilla essence
1. Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt in a bowl. Mix the egg yolks into the flour one at a time, then add the water and mix again.
2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured kneading surface, dot the lard over the dough, then knead until the dough stops sticking to the surface.
3. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes or more.
4. Dust a work surface with flour and roll out 1/2 of the dough to a rectangle approximately 8cm x 12cm|3"x 5".
5. Slice the pastry horizontally in 1cm|1/2" wide strips and then twist the strips 2 or three times. Cover the pastry with a cloth to stop it drying before cooking. Form the remaining half of the pastry in the same way.
6. Heat approximately 5cm|2" of cooking oil in a saucepan to 170˚C|340˚F. Fry the pastries a few at a time and cook till golden. Drain the pastries on paper towels or a rack.
7. For the frosting; Heat the sugar in saucepan with the water and 2 drops of vanilla essence, as soon as it starts to liquify, stir and remove from direct heat.
8. Quickly roll each pastry in the frosting and return to the rack to cool. If the frosting becomes too stiff briefly re-heat. Let the pastries cool before serving
1 serving (of 24): 217 calories, 21.3g fat (2.3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 6.6g carbohydrates (4.2g sugars, 0.1g fibre), protein 0.6g.
Macao Fried Sweet Pastry Twists Recipe
Prep: 35m | Cook: 15m | Yield: 24
Vanilla frosted deep fried pastry twists