■ 1 cup evaporated milk
■ 2 cups canned coconut milk
■ 3 egg yolks
■ 4 - 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
■ 80g granulated sugar
■ 1/2 tablespoon of butter
■ equipment; 18cm oven dish, whisk
1. Place the coconut milk and evaporated milk in a saucepan, and stir to blend. Gently heat to a simmer and turn off the heat.
2. Put the corn flour, sugar and egg yolks in a bowl and mix, add a little of the warm coconut milk mixture and whisk to incorporate.
3. Continue to add the coconut milk mixture gradually to the bowl, whisking all the time.
4. Transfer the mixture from the bowl back to the saucepan. Place the saucepan over low heat and whisk continually. When it starts to thicken remove from the heat temporarily, use a spatula to gather custard from the bottom and corners and whisk to an even consistency. Return to a low heat and continue to cook, whisking continually. When the custard thickens enough to hold on the back of a spoon, add the butter, remove from heat and whisk well.
5. Sieve the custard into an oven proof dish and allow to cool completely.
6. Brown the top of the custard under a hot grill.
Macao Coconut Milk Custard Recipe
Bebinca de Leite
Prep: 5m | Cook: 20m | Serves: 4-6
Stove top coconut milk custard, cooled and caramelized