■ 1-1/4 cups|225g of glutinous rice
■ 1 cup|240ml of canned coconut milk
■ 1/2 teaspoon of lard
■ 1 tablespoon of condensed milk
■ 50g|2/3 cup of dried coconut
■ 170g|1 cup of castor sugar, extra for glazing
■ 2 tablespoons of water
■ equipment; 18cm|7" dish, steamer tray/basket, pastry brush
1. Wash and soak the rice for 10-15 minutes whilst preparing the dried coconut.
2. Heat 6cm|2.5" of water in the bottom of a steamer pan. Put the dried coconut on a plate or muslin cloth in the basket and steam, covered, for 4-5 minutes until fluffy.
3. Drain the rice and place in a saucepan with the coconut milk, add the condensed milk and the lard. Bring the pan to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and stirring very frequently cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is soft. Turn off the heat.
4. Put the sugar in a small saucepan with 2 tablespoons of water, and place over low heat. When the sugar melts add the steamed dried coconut and stir through.
5. Add the sugar/coconut mixture to the rice, and continually stirring cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
6. Pour the rice into a serving dish and smooth the top using a wet spoon.
7. Heat two tablespoons of sugar in a pan with a teaspoon of water until the sugar melts. Brush the melted sugar over the cooling rice pudding, and with a knife score the top vertically down the middle and diagonally each side. Let the pudding cool completely before serving.
1 serving (of 5): 468 calories, 16.6g fat (13.9g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 17mg sodium, 78g carbohydrates (38.3g sugars, 3.3g fibre), protein 4.9g.
Macao Coconut Rice Pudding Recipe
Arroz Doce "Baji"
Prep: 5m | Cook: 20m | Serves: 4-5
Coconut and glutinous rice pudding