For the Dough
■ 75g|2/3 cup of plain flour
■ pinch of baking powder
■ pinch of salt
■ 1 tablespoon of water
■ 2 egg yolks
■ 1/2 teaspoon of lard
■ 1 litre|quart of cooking oil
For the Frosting
■ 90g|1/2 cup castor sugar
■ 2 tablespoons of water
■ 2 drops of vanilla essence
1. Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt in a bowl. Mix the egg yolks in one at a time, then add the water and mix well.
2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured kneading surface, dot the lard over the dough, then knead until the dough stops sticking to the surface.
3. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes or more.
4. Dust a work surface with flour and roll out 1/2 of the dough very thinly to a rectangle approximately 30cm x 12cm|12" x 5".
5. Cut the pastry to 6cm|2.5" squares or use a pastry cutter. Cover the pastry with a cloth to stop it drying before cooking. Form the remaining half of the pastry in the same way.
7. Heat approximately 5cm|2" of cooking oil in a saucepan to 170˚C|340˚F.
8. Starting from a corner roll a pastry square around the handle of a wooden spoon to form a tube, take the pastry off the spoon and gently drop the roll into the hot oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes till crispy but not browned. Drain on a rack.
9. Heat the sugar in a saucepan with the water and 2 drops of vanilla essence, as soon as it starts to liquify stir and turn off the heat.
10. Drizzle the frosting over the fried pastries and let cool before serving.
1 serving (of 18): 289 calories, 28.4g fat (4.5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 8.9g carbohydrates (5.6g sugars, 0.1g fibre), protein 0.7g.
Macao Sweet Pastry Curls Recipe
Prep: 35m | Cook: 15m | Yield: 18
Deep fried sweet pastry curls drizzled with vanilla sugar