■ 8 egg yolks
■ 8 tablespoons, or 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
■ 8 tablespoons, or 1/2 cup of water
■ 3 drops of vanilla essence
■ 1 strip of lemon zest
■ 4 "Marie", or other tea biscuits, crushed about 20g
■ 2 tablespoons of golden raisins or sultanas
■ 1/2 tablespoon of white port
■ 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1. Crush the tea biscuits finely and divide between 4 serving glasses or dishes. Put the golden raisins in a small bowl, pour over the white port and set aside.
2. Lightly mix the egg yolks and strain through a sieve into a metal mixing bowl or the top of a double boiler.
3. Put 5-6cm of water in a saucepan that will support the mixing bowl or bottom of a double boiler and heat to a simmer.
4. In another saucepan mix the sugar, water, vanilla essence and add the lemon zest. Stirring lightly bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes, turn off the heat and remove the lemon zest.
5. Adding a little at a time and stirring gently add the sugar mix to the egg yolks. Place the mixing bowl on the saucepan of simmering water/double boiler and cook the egg mixture, stirring gently until it begins to thicken. Then stir with a little more vigour, until the drops of the mixture will hold to the side of the bowl and a smooth thick cream forms. Remove the bowl from the heat and continue to mix the egg cream until touch cool.
Divide the mix between the prepared serving dishes and set aside to cool completely, about 20 minutes, then sprinkle with a little cinnamon and top with the port soaked golden raisins. Keeps refrigerated 1-2 days.
Macao Egg Cream with Golden Raisins Recipe
Doce de Ovos Com Passas
Prep: 10m | Cook: 20m | Serves: 4
Egg Cream dessert dusted with cinnamon and topped with port soaked golden raisins.