■ 500g mixed dried fruit and peel, or mix equal amounts of sultanas, currants and raisins
■ 1/3 cup brandy, sherry or rum plus extra for brushing
■ zest and juice from 1/2 a lemon
■ zest and juice from 1/2 an orange
■ 60g glace cherries, cut to quarters. or a mix of candied fruit peel and cherries
■ 60g sliced blanched almonds, roughly chopped
■ 125g unsalted butter, softened
■ 125g dark brown muscovado sugar, approximately 1 cup loosely packed
■ 2 eggs
■ 1-1/2 tablespoons of granulated sugar dissolved in 1/2 tablespoon of water
■ 125g plain flour, approximately 1-1/2 cups
■ 1/8 teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger powder
■ equipment: 18cm cake pan, non-stick baking paper, aluminium foil
1. Grate the zest from half an orange and lemon and reserve for later use.
Mix the dried fruit with the liquor and juice from 1/2 an orange and 1/2 a lemon, set aside to steep for two hours or overnight.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 150˚C. and prepare the cake pan by double lining the sides and bottom with non-stick baking paper. Ideally arrange so the paper projects above the sides of the pan.
3. Roughly chop the almonds and quarter the glace cherries separately. Sift the flour with the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger powder.
4. Beat the butter and sugar to a smooth cream, beat in the orange and lemon zest, sugar syrup, and then the eggs one at a time.
Fold a 1/3 of the soaked fruit alternately with a 1/3 of the flour into the batter until all the flour and fruit are incorporated, then fold in the chopped almonds and glace cherries. Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan spreading into the sides of the pan and smoothing the top.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven for approximately 1 hr and 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out just clean. Brush the top with a little more liquor, fold the excess baking paper over the cake, then wrap the whole pan in aluminium foil. Leave to cool completely before removing from the pan.
To store: wrap the cake in baking paper, then foil and store in an airtight container for three weeks or more.
Macao Holiday Fruit Cake Recipe
Bolo de Frutas Secas
Prep: Inactive: 2hrs+| Prep 20m | Cook: 1hr 10m | Yield: 18cm cake
Easy fruit packed cake for everyday, holidays and celebrations.