■ 225g|1-1/3 cup caster sugar
■ 85g|2 cups panko breadcrumbs
■ 85g|3oz almond flour
■ 100g|1-1/4 cup grated dried coconut
■ 10 egg yolks
■ 5 egg whites, whisked till stiff
■ 1 teaspoon of baking powder
■ 5g|1/2 tablespoon of butter, plus extra for glazing.
■ 4 tablespoons of icing sugar for dusting.
■ equipment: 18cm|7" tube cake pan, whisk, baking tray, pastry brush, small sieve
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160˚C|320˚F.
2. Mix the breadcrumbs, almond flour and grated coconut and spread out on a baking tray.
Toast lightly in the pre-heated oven; turn the ingredients with a spatula every 10 minutes for about 30 minutes until the ingredients are golden. Transfer the ingredients to another tray to cool and to prevent over browning.
3. Put the egg yolks and caster sugar in a mixing bowl and beat together, add the butter and baking powder and mix until blended.
4. Fold the toasted breadcrumbs, coconut and almond flour into the batter a little at a time.
5. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and then gradually fold through the batter. Spoon the mixture into the cake pan and level the top.
6. Bake the cake in the pre-heated oven for about 35 minutes. Let the cake cool a little before removing from the pan and transferring to a rack.
7. Melt a slice of butter in a small pan, brush the top of the cake with the melted butter, and then sprinkle the icing sugar over the cake using a fine sieve.
1 serving (of 8): 343 calories, 16.5g fat (7.1g saturated fat), 264mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 42.9g carbohydrates (31.6g sugars, 2.5g fibre), protein 9.4g.
Macao Almond and Coconut Cake Recipe
Prep: 40m | Cook: 35m | Serves: 6-8
Almond and coconut cake dusted with icing sugar