For the Puddings
■ 2 extra large or jumbo egg whites
■ 4 tablespoons caster sugar
■ butter for greasing
For the Sweet Egg Sauce:
■ 2 extra large or jumbo egg yolks
■ 3 tablespoons of caster sugar
■ 4 tablespoons of boiling water
■ topping: chopped / slivered nuts (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180˚C|350˚F. Line a baking sheet with non-stick paper and grease with butter.
2. Separate the eggs, putting the whites into a good sized mixing bowl, and the yolks into a separate bowl. Lightly mix the egg yolks and strain through a sieve into a clean bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk the egg whites to firm peaks then gradually whisk in the sugar a little at a time. The whites should be firm and hold to the whisk or side of a spatula without dropping.
Gently fill a half cup measure with the whisked egg whites and with the help of a spoon drop the mix onto the prepared baking sheet to create a cone shape. Form the additional puddings the same way spacing about 3cm apart and smoothing or adjusting the shape as preferred.
Bake for 8 minutes until lightly browned on the top, then turn off the oven and open the door. After 2 minutes remove puddings from the oven and gently slide the whole lining sheet with puddings onto a rack to cool.
4. To make the sauce: mix the caster sugar with the boiling water in a saucepan and whisk till the sugar dissolves, then gradually mix in the egg yolks. Place on low heat and cook, stirring continually until the sauce starts to thicken then remove from the heat and whisk quickly to a smooth sauce. Cook a little longer to thicken further if desired.
5. To serve: Transfer each pudding to a plate by supporting it from the underside of the baking paper, gently peel back the paper until the pudding can be picked up from the bottom. Drizzle with the sweet egg sauce and sprinkle with nuts if desired. Serve warm or chilled.
To store: refrigerate Molotof puddings and sauce. If the sauce thickens loosen by mixing in a little hot water.
1 serving (of 4): 117 calories, 5g fat (1.6g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 12.4g carbohydrates (12.4g sugars, 0g fibre), protein 6.3g.
Macao Meringue "Molotof'" Pudding Recipe
Molotof com Doce de Ovos
Prep: 10m | Cook: 20m | Serves: 4
Macao style Portuguese Molotof or fluffy meringue puddings with sweet egg sauce drizzle.