■ 225g|1-1/3 cups caster sugar
■ 113g|1x stick unsalted butter, softened
■ 6 egg yolks
■ 1-3/4 cups|210g plain flour
■ 1 teaspoon of baking powder
■ 1 orange, juice extracted and strained, 1 cup|240ml divided
■ 1/2 cup|120ml of milk
■ equipment: 18cm|7" tube cake pan, whisk, pastry brush small sieve
■ 5 tablespoons of icing sugar for glaze
■ 3 tablespoons of extracted orange juice
■ 3 tablespoons of icing sugar for dusting
■ grated orange rind (optional)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C|350˚F. Juice the orange, strain the juice and divide equally, reserving half for the glaze.
2. Beat the caster sugar with the butter and then mix in the egg yolks in one at a time.
3. Mix the baking powder with the flour and sift onto the batter. Add, a little at a time, of the 1/2 cup|120ml of milk and 1/2 cup|120ml of orange juice and fold into the batter gently.
4. Spoon the mixture into the tube cake pan and level the top. Bake the cake in the pre-heated for 35-40 minutes. Let the cake cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling on a rack.
5. Add approximately 5 tablespoons of icing sugar to the reserved orange juice with a drop of hot water. Mix until the sugar dissolves and then brush over the top of the cake with a pastry brush.
6. Sprinkle the icing sugar over the cake using a fine sieve, followed by the grated orange rind.
1 serving (of 8): 415 calories, 15.6g fat (8.7g saturated fat), 189mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 65g carbohydrates (41.7g sugars, 0.9g fibre), protein 6g.
Macao Orange Cake Recipe
Bolo de Laranja
Prep: 40m | Cook: 35m | Serves: 6-8
Rich buttery orange cake