■ 225g|1-1/3 cups caster sugar
■ 225g|1-3/4 cups plain flour
■ 1 teaspoon baking powder
■ 4 eggs, separated
■ 113g|1x stick unsalted butter, softened
■ 1x 567g|20oz can pineapple rings
■ 3 tablespoons of reserved pinapple syrup
■ caramelized pineapple or glace cherries to decorate
■ equipment: 18cm|7" tube cake pan, whisk
For the Drizzle
■ 1 cup|110g icing sugar
■ 1 tablespoon of butter
■ reserved pineapple juice/syrup
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C|350˚F.
2. Beat or whisk the butter with the sugar until white and fluffy; mix the egg yolks in one at time.
3. Mix the flour with the baking powder and sift into the batter and mix.
4. Drain the canned pineapple, reserving the syrup. Finely chop 2 rings of pineapple and fold into the cake batter with 3 tablespoons of the syrup.
5. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and then gently fold into the batter a little at a time.
6. Line the bottom and side of the tube pan with non-stick paper and lightly grease with a little butter.
7. Place whole pineapple rings in the bottom of the pan around the tube; push the rings into the corners so they fold up the sides. Add a row of half rings to cover the remaining side of the pan.
8. Spoon the batter into the tube cake pan and level the top. Bake the cake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes. Let the cake cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan.
9. Trim the top of the cake, so that it can be inverted pineapple side up, and place on a rack.
10. Whilst the cake is still warm, melt the icing sugar and butter in a small pan and then add enough tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice to make the mixture thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle the mixture over the cake; decorate with glace cherries or caramelized pineapple. Let the cake cool completely before serving.
1 serving (of 8): 352 calories, 2.6g fat (0.8g saturated fat),82mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 79.8g carbohydrates (56.1g sugars, 1.8g fibre), protein 5.7g.
Macao Pineapple Cake Recipe
Bolo de Ananas
Prep: 25m | Cook: 35m | Serves: 6-8
Pineapple cake wrapped in whole pineapple rings.