■ 4 eggs, separated
■ 1/2 cup|70g granulated sugar
■ 1/2 cup|45g rice flour
■ 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
■ water for steaming
■ equipment; 18-20cm|7-8" non-stick cake pan, steamer, whisk
For the topping:
■ 1/4 cup|35g of sugar
■ 1/4 cup|21g of desiccated coconut
■ 1/4 cup|60ml water
■ 1 tablespoon of soy flour, toasted
1. Line the bottom of the cake pan with a circle of baking paper. Prepare the steaming pan, or a saucepan with trivet to support the cake pan, and add about 5cm|2" of water ensuring level is below the cake support. Heat the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
2. Separate the egg yolks and whites into two mixing bowls. Mix the baking soda with the rice flour.
3. Whisk the egg whites to form stiff peaks.
4. Add the sugar to the yolks and beat until light and creamy and then alternately gently fold in a third of the rice flour followed by a third of the egg whites until all the flour and whites are incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
5. Place the cake in the steamer and loosely cover with baking paper. Add the steamer lid and cook the cake at a gentle simmer for 15 minutes, check the top is set and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out batter free.
Remove the cake from the steamer and let the cake to cool for a few minutes before turning out and removing the baking paper.
For the topping
6. Sift the soy flour into a dry frying pan, gently heat stirring until the flour toasts to a light brown. Transfer the toasted flour to a bowl until ready to use.
7. Put the water, sugar and desiccated coconut in a saucepan and cook on low heat, taking care not to let the mixture boil, until the sugar is melted and the coconut is soft. Spread the coconut frosting on top of the cake and then sift over the toasted soy flour.
1 serving (of 8): 234 calories, 6.5g fat (4.4g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 41.4g carbohydrates (32.5g sugars, 0.8g fibre), protein 4g.
Macao Sponge Cake with Coconut Frosting Recipe
Prep: 20m | Cook: 15-20m | Serves 6-8 | Easy
Easy light steamed sponge cake, topped with coconut frosting and dusted with toasted soy flour.