■ 1-1.4 Kg|2-3lb chicken, butterflied or 8 chicken pieces
For the marinade
■ 1 teaspoon of dried red chilli, minced
■ 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, minced
■ 2 tablespoons of shallot, minced
■ 1 teaspoon of hot paprika
■ 2 teaspoons of Chinese five spice powder
■ 2 teaspoons of dried rosemary, crumbled
■ 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
■ salt and pepper
For the sauce
■ 4 medium shallots, minced
■ 12 garlic cloves minced
■ 2 medium red bell peppers, chopped and minced
■ 4 tablespoons of sweet paprika
■ 1 whole bay leaf
■ 2-1/2 tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
■ 6 tablespoons of desiccated coconut, soaked in 1/2 cup|120ml of hot water
■ 3/4 cup|180ml of chicken stock
■ 2 teaspoons of sugar
■ salt and pepper
■ 1 large potato, peeled and cut to 4cm|1.5" dice
■ 4 tablespoons of cooking oil
■ 6-8 olives, for garnish
1. For the marinade; mince the garlic, shallot and chilli by hand or in a mini blender. Put the mince mix in a bowl, add the all the remaining spices and the olive oil. Mix and rub the marinade into the chicken, then cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
2. To make the sauce; mince the shallots, garlic and red bell peppers by hand or in a mini blender, set aside.
3. Soak the desiccated coconut in hot water for 10 minutes, strain off the liquid and discard the grated coconut.
4. Peel the potato and cut to 4cm|1.5" sized pieces, place in cold water.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan, add the minced shallot, pepper and garlic and cook over medium heat until softened.
6. Take the saucepan off the heat and add; the coconut liquid, peanut butter, chicken stock and sweet paprika, mix and put the pan back on medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf.
7. Drain the potatoes, heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a skillet and brown the potatoes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
8. Remove the chicken from the marinade and brown each side under a grill. About 4-5 minutes a side.
9. Heat the oven to 175˚C|350˚F.
10. Place the chicken in a baking dish and tuck the browned potatoes around it. Spoon the sauce over the top to cover the chicken and potatoes.
11. Bake in the pre-heated oven until the internal temperature of the chicken is 74˚C |164˚F, approximately 35-40 minutes. Garnish with black olives.
Macao African Chicken Recipe
Galinha à Cafreal
Prep: 6hr | Cook: 65m | Serves: 3-4 |
Macao style spicy African chicken and potato bake - marinated with chilli and onions and baked with potatoes in a red pepper, paprika, peanut and coconut sauce.