■ 2 thick cut lean beef steaks, approximately 225g|8oz each
■ 4 sprigs of green onion, finely chopped
■ 70g|2.5oz stuffed green olives, finely chopped
■ 160g|6oz ham, finely chopped
■ 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
■ salt and black pepper
■ 1 cup|40g of panko breadcrumbs
■ 1/2 cup|60g of flour
■ 2 eggs whisked
■ 1/2 litre|quart of oil for frying
1. Put the steaks in the freezer for about 10 minutes to make them easier to cut, then slice each steak horizontally into 6-7 thin 3mm|1/8". slices. Lay the slices out on kitchen film, a few at a time, cover with a second sheet of film and then flatten with a meat mallet or rolling pin to approximately 9cm x 10cm|3.5" x 4" pieces.
2. Lay the beef slices out on a large tray, season with salt and pepper and finely snip the green onion over the beef slices. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
3. Finely chop the stuffed olives and ham and mix in a bowl with the olive oil. Put a tablespoon of the olive and ham mixture across one end of a beef slice, fold the beef over the filling slightly tucking in the ends around the filling and then roll up the beef. Trim the ends with a sharp knife, place on a plate with the roil-end down.
4. Whisk the egg in a shallow bowl large enough for the beef rolls, put the flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Roll the beef rolls through the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs, ensuring to cover the ends. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
5. To cook; heat 6cm|2.5" of oil in a medium saucepan to 170˚C|340˚F. Gently place the rolls a few at a time into the oil and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden. Transfer to a rack or kitchen paper to drain. Serve with creamed vegetables or a sauce of preference.
Macao Deep Fried Olive-Ham Stuffed Steak Rolls Recipe
Prep: 30m | Cook: 20m |Serves 3-4
Deep fried rolled steak with a green olive and ham filling.