To poach the chicken
■ 300g|10oz of skinless chicken thighs
■ 1 garlic clove. peel and crushed
■ 1 thick slice of ginger root, crushed
■ 1 bay leaf
■ 2 peppercorns
■ 150g|5oz onion, finely chopped
■ 150g|5oz mushrooms, roughly diced
■ 150g|5oz tinned bamboo shoots, drained and diced
■ 150g|5oz peas
■ 2 tablespoons of milk
■ salt and pepper
■ 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
■ 1 cup|180g of rice
■ 2 cup|480ml of reserved chicken cooking liquid
1. Put the chicken in a saucepan, add the peppercorns, bay leaf, crushed whole garlic, the crushed ginger and enough water to cover the chicken pieces. Bring the water to a boil and simmer for 8-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool. Strain the cooking liquid and reserve for cooking the rice.
2. Rinse the rice in water and drain. Place in a saucepan, or rice cooker, with 2 cups|480ml of the reserved chicken cooking liquids. Cover and cook at medium heat for 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and keep warm.
3. Peel and finely chop the onion; roughly cut the mushrooms
4. Drain the tinned bamboo shoots and roughly dice.
5. De-bone and roughly dice the chicken.
6. In a frying pan heat the oil, add the onions and fry until softened, add the mushrooms, the peas and fry for a few minutes on medium heat.
7. Add the bamboo shoots, the diced chicken and season with salt and pepper.
8. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, then stir through the milk and gently heat for a few minutes.
9. Transfer the rice to a serving plate and top with the chicken, or serve separately.
Macao Chicken Rice Millionaire Recipe
Arroz de Galinha Milionaria
Prep: 20m | Cook: 20m | Serves: 4 | Easy
Poached chicken with mushrooms, bamboo shoots and peas with chicken rice