■ 8 chicken pieces, thigh or drumsticks bone-in
■ 1 small red onion, finely chopped
■ 1/2 onion, finely chopped
■ 5 pieces of spring onion finely chopped
■ 50g|2oz ginger root, peeled cut to thin sticks
■ 1 garlic clove, minced
■ 1-1/2 cups|360ml of water
■ 1 teaspoon of Chinese rice wine
■ 6 tablespoons of oil
■ 1/4 teaspoon of saffron crumbled
■ 2 tablespoons of hot water
■ salt and pepper
1. Crumble the saffron threads into a bowl or dish large enough to hold the chicken. Add 2 tablespoons of hot water, agitate a little and leave for 5 minutes.
2. Trim the chicken pieces, remove the skin if preferred. Pierce the chicken pieces 2-3 times with a sharp knife and put in the saffron water. Season with salt and pepper, turn the chicken in the marinade and set aside.
3. Chop the red onion, onion and spring onion finely. Peel and cut the ginger root to fine 2cm|1" long thin sticks. Mince the garlic clove.
4. Heat 6 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and cook the onions spring onions, garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken and fry on all sides, until lightly browned.
5. Add 1-1/2 cups|360ml of water to the chicken and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 25 minutes turning the chicken pieces occasionally.
6. When the chicken is cooked and the sauce has reduced add 1 teaspoon of Chinese rice wine and stir through.
7. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and drizzle the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with chopped spring onion.
Macao Chicken with Ginger Recipe
Galinha com Gengibre
Prep: 20m | Cook: 30m | Serves: 4 | Easy
Translated and adapted from the recipe by Maria Celestina de Mello e Senna, Gastronomia Macaense - Receitas da Celestina 4, Projecto Memória Macaense
Quick and easy braised chicken flavoured with saffron, ginger and Chinese rice wine