■ 4 small cucumbers, about 450g|1lb, sliced to 3-4mm|1/8in" rounds
■ 2 tablespoons of fine sea salt
■ 180-200g|6-7oz of minced pork
■ 1/2 tablespoon of light soy sauce
■ pinch of corn starch
■ white pepper
■ 1/2 onion, about 130g|4oz, finely chopped
■ 1 large garlic clove, minced
■ 3-4 red chilli, de-seeded and sliced to strips
■ 2 tablespoons of grated fresh ginger
■ 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
■ 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar
■ 4 tablespoons of oil, separated
1. Wash and slice the cucumbers to 3-4mm|1/8" thick rounds, place in a sieve over a bowl and sprinkle on sea salt, mix and toss the sea salt through the cucumber and leave to drain for 30-40 minutes. Gently pat dry with kitchen paper to remove any excess moisture before cooking.
2. Separately, finely chop the onion, de-seed and cut the chilli to strips, mince the garlic and grate the ginger.
3. Season the minced pork with 1/2 tablespoon of light soy sauce, white pepper, a pinch of corn flour and mix through.
4. In a large frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil, fry the onions on medium heat until just golden, add the turmeric powder and garlic and stirring cook 2-3 minutes until the onions are evenly coated then add the pork. Cook at medium heat, turning and agitating the meat and onions until the meat is cooked and crumbly. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
5. Wipe the pan free of any food remnants and heat 2 tablespoons of oil to sizzling, add the cucumber and ginger and fry turning for 1-2 minutes. Add the pork, the chilli and drizzle the vinegar around the edge of the pan, cook turning and mixing for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with steamed rice.
Macao Stir Fried Cucumber with Turmeric Minchi Recipe
Pepino com Porco Picante
Prep: 20m Inactive: 20m | Cook: 20m |Serves: 3-4 |
Recipe adapted from "Macanese Cooking: A Journey Across Generations", by Cecília Jorge, published by A.P.I.M, 2004
Stir fried crispy cucumber with turmeric spiced pork mince, chili, onions and ginger