■ 4 eggs, hard boiled and shelled
■ 120g|4oz Chouriço, skin removed and finely diced
■ 2 tablespoons of chopped mint
■ 1/4 cup|10g of panko breadcrumbs
■ 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
■ white pepper
■ 1 cup|40g of panko breadcrumbs
■ 2 whole eggs whisked
■ oil for frying
1. Remove the skin from the chouriço and chop finely. Separately chop the mint and set aside in a bowl.
2. Place the eggs in a saucepan,cover with water, add the lid and heat to a boil; cook for about 9 minutes. Cool the eggs with cold water, shell the eggs and cut vertically, remove the egg yolks and add them to the bowl with the mint.
3. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the chouriço on medium heat until the oil runs free, then add to the mint and egg yolks. Add a 1/4 cup of panko breadcrumbs, white pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, or a little more if required. Mix the ingredients together to form a hearty paste. Mould the mix onto each of the egg white halves to form a "whole egg" shape.
4. Whisk the whole eggs in a dish large enough to roll the eggs through, put 1/2 the breadcrumbs on separate plate, replenish as required. Roll the moulded eggs through the whisked egg and then the through the breadcrumbs, scoop the breadcrumbs over to cover the ends. For any gaps or thin coverage - brush on a little more whisked egg and scoop on more breadcrumbs. Refrigerate until ready to cook, up to 2 days.
5. Heat 6-7cm|2.5" of oil in a small to medium saucepan to 170˚C|340˚F. Gently place the eggs a few at a time into the oil and cook for 3-4 minutes, turning once until golden. Transfer to a rack or kitchen paper to drain before serving. To store refrigerate 1-2 days.
Ovos Recheados à moda de Macau
Macao Deep Fried Chouriço Devilled Eggs Recipe
Prep: 5m | Cook: 30m |Yield: 8 pieces
Deep fried devilled eggs with a chouriço and mint filling - a simple meal with french fries, with salad or as an appetizer.
Translated and adapted from the recipe by Maria Celestina de Mello e Senna, "Oz cozinhados de Macau D. Celestina" Journal Tribuna de Macau, No.3522 (Nova Série), Segunda-Feira, 2 de Agosta de 2010