■ 250g minced pork
■ 250g minced beef
■ 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
■ black pepper
■ 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
■ 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
■ 1 onion, finely chopped (optional)
■ 2 tablespoons of oil
■ 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
■ 250g potatoes, peeled and diced
■ 1 litre of cooking oil
1. In separate bowls season the pork and beef mince each with 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce, ground black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
2. Peel the potatoes, cut to a 1cm dice and place in cold water if not cooking immediately. Before frying the potatoes drain or dry on paper towel.
3. Heat approximately 4cm of oil in a pan to 170˚C, add the potatoes and fry, turning from time to time, until golden about 10 minutes. Drain on a plate lined with paper towel.
4. In a large frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil, fry the garlic on medium heat and then add the minced pork to the pan. Break up the minced pork with a spatula distributing it over the pan. Cook, turning and spreading, for a few minutes until the meat is just coloured.
5. Add the minced beef to the minced pork in the pan, break it up and continue to turn and mix with a spatula to separate and distribute through the pork.
6. Fry mixing until the meat is crumbly. Add the onions now if using, stir through the mince and cover the pan with a lid for 3-4 minutes until the onions soften.
7. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce to the mince and mix evenly through the meat. Garnish with the fried potatoes.
Macao Beef and Pork "Minchi" Recipe
Vaca Picada "Minchi"
Prep: 15m | Cook: 7m |Serves: 5-6 | Easy
Recipe adapted from "Macanese Cooking: A Journey Across Generations", by Cecília Jorge, published by A.P.I.M, 2004
Stir fried soy marinated Beef and Pork mince topped with fried potatoes - top with a fried egg for brunch