■ 450g|1lb pork shoulder, cut to 5cm | 2" cubes
■ 1 pig trotter, about 400g|1lb sliced, or substitute deboned cubed pork hock
■ salt and white pepper
■ 2-3 bay leaves
■ 4-5 cups|960ml-1.2L of pork bone broth or water
■ 15cm|6" length of Chouriço or Chinese sausage, about 100g|3.5oz
■ 1/2 cup|120ml of water
■ 1/2 red onion, chopped
■ 1/2 onion, chopped
■ 2x 432g|5.25oz cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
■ 1/2 small Chinese cabbage, about 100g|3.5oz
■ 1 carrot, sliced
■ 1/2x 400g|14oz can of chopped tomatoes
■ 5-6 tablespoons of oil
■ coriander for garnish
1. Cube the pork keeping any skin and fat. If using trotters cut to rounds, discarding the toes. Season the pork with salt and white pepper and set aside.
2. Rinse and drain the kidney beans. Slice the carrots, chop the onions and cut the cabbage into large chunks separately.
3. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a large sauce pan and brown the pork in batches. Deglaze the pan with a little water and return all the meat to the pan with enough stock or water to cover, add the bay leaves, bring to a simmer and cover. Skim any foam from the top after 30 minutes and continue to cook for 1 hour until the meat is tender and the stock has reduced by half.
Whilst the pork is cooking, cook the chouriço and vegetable.
4. Heat a tablespoon of oil in small frying pan and brown the chouriço on all sides, discard the oil and carefully, standing back from the pan, add 1/2 cup|120ml of water - cover and cook about 10 minutes then remove from the pan and cut into thick slices.
In a large skillet heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil and stirring cook the onions and carrots, till the onions are shiny and translucent, then add the tomatoes and continue to cook for about ten minutes. Add the cabbage and cook until it just wilts, about 3 minutes. Remove all the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
5. When the pork is tender add the vegetables, chouriço and kidney beans and stir through, simmer the stew for a further 10-15 minutes until the carrots are cooked.
Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice.
Macao Bean and Mixed Pork Stew Recipe
Feijoada à Moda de Macau
Prep: 20m | Cook: 1hr 45m| Serves: 5-6 |
This bean and pork stew includes mixed pork cuts, kidney beans, Chouriço, carrot and Chinese cabbage.