■ 450g|1lb minced pork
■ 1 bitter melon, about 500g|1lb, blanched and diced
■ 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
■ white pepper
■ 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
■ 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
■ 1-2 red chillis, finely chopped
■ 2 tablespoons of oil
■ 1 to 1-1/2 cups|240-360ml of reserved bitter melon blanching liquid
1. Season the pork with 2 tablespoon of light soy sauce, white pepper and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to cook.
2. Cut the melon in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and the white membrane with a small spoon - cut the halves each into two or three pieces. Finely chop the garlic and chilli separately.
3. To blanch the bitter melon; heat a pan of salted water to boiling, add the bitter melon pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes, remove the bitter melon to a bowl and reserve the cooking water. Let the melon cool a few minutes before dicing, set aside.
4. In a large frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add the minced pork to the pan and break it up with a spatula to separate and distribute it over the pan. Cook at medium heat, turning and spreading the meat for a few minutes until the meat is crumbly, then add the garlic and chill and cook 2-3 minutes more.
5. Stir in the diced bitter melon and 1 cup|240ml, or a little more, of the reserved cooking liquid and simmer the minchi for 10-15 minutes until the liquid thickens. Serve with steamed rice.
Macao Pork Minchi with Bitter Melon Recipe
Porco Picada "Minchi" Amargoso
Prep: 20m | Cook: 30m |Serves: 4-5 |
Recipe adapted from "Macanese Cooking: A Journey Across Generations", by Cecília Jorge, published by A.P.I.M, 2004
Soy marinated pork mince fried with garlic and chilli and simmered with bitter melon