■ 8 pieces of bone-in chicken or a whole chicken portioned
■ 1 medium onion, finely chopped
■ 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
■ 1 tablespoon of paprika
■ 200g tomatoes diced
■ 1 cup of frozen peas
■ 1 1/2 cups of rice
■ 2-3, or more saffron threads
■ 3 cups of boiling water
■ 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
■ salt and pepper
■ 4 tablespoon of cooking oil
1. Finely chop the onion, garlic and tomatoes separately and set aside. Crumble the saffron threads into the hot water, stir and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in large skillet and fry the chicken pieces until browned on each side, then remove from the pan.
3. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and fry at medium heat until the onions are translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes and the paprika, stir through and continue cooking until the liquid evaporates.
4. The saffron water should be a deep gold by now, if not add a few more threads before adding to the pan with the peas, rice and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt. Mix well and then arrange the chicken on top, pushing in lightly.
5. Bring the pan to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer and then cook covered for 20-25 minutes until the rice and chicken are cooked and all the water has been absorbed.
6. Garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
Macao Saffron Chicken Rice Recipe
Arroz Açafrão com Galinha
Prep: 10m | Cook: 40m | Serves: 4 | Easy
Easy one pan chicken dish with saffron rice tomato, onion and garden peas