■ 4 thin cut sirloin or minute steaks
■ 2 cloves of garlic
■ 1/2 onion finely chopped
■ 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
■ ground black pepper
■ 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
■ 1 tablespoon of oil
■ 1/2 cup|120ml of hot water
■ 1 teaspoon of flour
1. Peel and finely chop the garlic and onion and place in a bowl. Add the soy sauce, sugar and ground black pepper and mix well.
2. Place the steaks between two sheets of cling wrap and flatten using a rolling pin or the flat side of a meat mallet. Put the beef in a dish and pour over the marinade, turn the meat in the marinade to cover. Set aside for 20 minutes or so.
3. Lightly oil a griddle pan and heat to sizzling.
4. Remove the beef from the marinade, lay the beef onto the hot griddle and sear quickly, about 2 minutes. Turn the beef over and cook another 2-3 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a serving dish.
5. For the sauce; add about 1/2 cup|120ml of hot water to the griddle pan and stir through to gather the meat residues from the bottom of the pan. Pour into a small saucepan and add any remaining marinade and heat to a simmer.
6. Mix the tablespoon of flour with a little of the hot cooking juices in a dish, stir through the sauce and cook until it thickens. Serve separately or pour over the beef.
Macao Salt and Pepper Steak Recipe
Bife Sal-Pimenta de Macao
Prep: 30m | Cook: 6m | Serves: 4 | Easy
Translated and adapted from the recipe by Maria Celestina de Mello e Senna, Gastronomia Macaense - Receitas da Celestina 1, Projecto Memória Macaense
Macao style steak marinated with garlic, onion, pepper and soy sauce.