Almõndegas de Hortelã
■ 500g|1lb minced beef
■ 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
■ 4 tablespoons of mint finely chopped, extra for garnish
■ 4 tablespoons of spring onions finely chopped
■ 4 garlic cloves, minced
■ 2 egg whites, whisked
■ 2 teaspoons of cornstarch, plus extra for dusting
■ salt and pepper
■ 4 tablespoons of cooking oil
1. Finely chop the mint and spring onions.
2. Put the minced beef in a mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, add the chopped mint, spring onion, the light soy sauce, the minced garlic and mix well.
3. Add the 2 teaspoons of cornstarch and mix, whisk the egg whites and mix in.
4. Lightly sprinkle a plate with cornstarch; form the beef into small meatballs using approximately a heaped tablespoon per ball, flatten lightly and place on the plate. Continue until all the mixture is used. Lightly sprinkle cornstarch over the meatballs, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more.
5. Heat about 4 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan; add the meatballs and cook at medium heat, turning with a spatula, until evenly browned and cooked. Transfer the meatballs to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with mint.
1 serving (of 18): 81 calories, 4.8g fat (1g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 0.8g carbohydrates (0.1g sugars, 0.1g fibre), protein 8.6g.
Macao Minted Meatballs Recipe
Translated and adapted from the recipe of Cecília Jorge "da série Tacho do Diabo" Revista Macau II série nº 14 - Junho 93, Gastronomia Macaense-Cecilia Jorge (2), Projecto Memória Macaense
Prep: 40m | Cook: 12m | Yield: 18 Pcs | Easy
Easy quick beef snack flavoured with mint, spring onions, garlic and soy sauce