Empadas Frito "Chilicote"
For the Dough
■ 125g plain flour
■ 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
■ pinch of salt
■ pinch of sugar
■ 3 tablespoon of water
■ 2 egg yolks
For the Filling
■ 225g minced pork
■ 170g onion, finely chopped
■ 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
■ 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
■ 1 teaspoon of dry sherry
■ 1 tablespoon of oil
■ salt and pepper
■ 1 litre cooking oil
■ Equipment: 3" cookie cutter
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a bowl.
2. Beat the egg yolk with the water in a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well.
3. Transfer the dough to a floured kneading surface, knead the dough for about 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and stops sticking to the surface.
4. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and allow to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more.
5. Season the minced pork with pepper
6. In a frying pan heat the oil; add the chopped onion, turmeric powder and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent.
7. Add the minced pork to the pan and with a spatula break up the minced pork and mix it with the onion.
8. Cook stirring over medium heat until the mince is crumbly and almost dry, add the sherry and stir through. Set aside to cool.
Assembly & Cooking
9. Lightly flour a work surface, divide the dough in half and roll 1/2 the dough out to a 8cm by 42cm rectangle.
10. Place 1/2 tablespoon of filling 7cm apart along the centre of the dough. Brush water in a half circle, with a pastry brush, around the sides and bottom of the filling. Fold the top edge of the pastry over the filling and press down firmly around the filling at the bottom and sides up to the pastry fold.
11. Using a 6.5cm (21/2”) pastry cutter cut a half moon around the filling. Crimp the edges of the pastry by hand or with a fork. Continue forming the pastries using the remaining dough and filling.
12. Heat 5-6cm of oil in a saucepan to 170˚C. Fry the meat pastries a few at time, turning occasionally, until they are golden, about 4 minutes. Drain the pastries on a rack or paper towel.
Prep: 30 Min | Cook: 30m | Yield: 12 Pcs |
Macao Fried Minchi Pastry Recipe
Deep fried mini mince pork filled pastries flavoured with garlic, turmeric, soy sauce and sherry