■ 600g|1.25lb potato, peeled and diced to 5cm | 2"
■ 110g|4oz minced meat beef or pork, or a combination.
■ 1/2 tablespoon of light soy sauce
■ 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
■ 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce
■ 2 eggs whisked
■ 1 cup|40g of panko breadcrumbs
■ salt and pepper
■ 1 litre|quart of cooking oil
1. Peel the potatoes and cut to a rough dice. Put the potatoes in a saucepan of water and heat to a boil, simmer for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and easily pierced with a small knife. Drain the potatoes and return them to the warm pan to dry and cool.
2. Season the mince meat in a bowl with the light soy sauce, pepper and cornstarch; mix thoroughly and set aside in the refrigerator.
3. Mash the potatoes to a smooth texture using a potato masher.
4. To cook the mince filling, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan add the mince to the pan, break up with a spatula and distribute it over the pan. Cook until the meat is crumbly and the pan is almost dry, then add the soy sauce and stir through well. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
5. Take a large spoon of the mashed potato, approximately 35g|1oz, and flatten into a disk in the spoon. Put about 1 tablespoon of the mince filling in the centre and fold the potato up from the sides and the ends to enclose the mince. Gently roll to a sausage shape ensuring the filling is covered. Repeat with the remaining meat and potato.
6. To bread the croquettes; whisk the eggs in a bowl, sprinkle out the breadcrumbs to cover a small plate and season with salt and pepper.
Roll the croquettes one at a time in the whisked egg to coat, then roll through the breadcrumbs to cover and place on a plate. Add additional breadcrumbs and seasoning to the breading plate as required. Refrigerate the croquettes for 1 hour.
7. Heat approximately 5cm|2" of cooking oil in a saucepan to 170˚C|340˚F. Gently place the croquettes into the oil 2 to 3 at a time and cook till golden, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oil and allow to drain on paper towels or a rack.
1 serving (of 12): 231 calories, 18.8g fat (2.1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 9.9g carbohydrates (0.7g sugars, 1.1g fibre), protein 4.5g.
Macao Minchi Potato Croquette Recipe
Croquete de "Minchi"
Prep: 1hr 20 Min | Cook: 18m | Yield: 12 Pcs |
Recipe adapted from "Macanese Cooking: A Journey Across Generations", by Cecília Jorge, published by A.P.I.M, 2004
Deep fried potato croquettes filled with Macao style mince 'minchi'