■ 200g|7oz minced pork
■ 200g|7oz shelled shrimp
■ 1/4 onion, finely chopped
■ 2 tablespoons of chopped mint
■ 6 chopped black olives
■ 2 slices of fresh bread
■ 1 cup|240ml of boiling water
■ 1 egg yolk
■ 2-3 tablespoons of panko breadcrumbs
■ 1-1/2 cups|180g of flour
■ 2 whole egg whisked
■ 2 cups of finely crushed cream (or other) crackers
■ salt and pepper
■ 1 litre|quart of cooking oil
1. Season the minced pork in a bowl with salt and pepper.
2. Finely chop the shrimp, place in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
3. Pull out the centre of the bread slices and put in a bowl, pour over enough hot water to cover and soak for 5 minutes. Drain and squeeze out the water.
4. Finely chop separately; the onion, the mint and olives.
5. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan add the chopped onions to the pan and fry until translucent. Add the minced pork, mix through the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the mint, olives and shrimp and soaked bread. Continue to cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes until the all the ingredients are blended and cooked. Transfer the mixture to a bowl to cool a little.
6. Whilst the mix is still warm, mash with a fork to get a smoother mixture and then mix through 1 egg yolk. If the mixture seems a little wet, add a tablespoon or 2 of dried breadcrumbs and stir through.
7. Form the mixture in 2.5cm|1" balls, it's easier using two spoons, place on a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes or so.
8. To bread the croquettes; place the cup of flour on a plate, whisk the egg in a bowl, and spread the cracker crumbs on another plate. Roll the formed balls one at a time in the flour, whisked egg and finally the cracker crumbs.
9. Heat approximately 4cm|1.5" of cooking oil in a saucepan to 170˚C|340˚F. Fry the croquettes 2 to 3 at a time and cook till golden, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oil and allow to drain on paper towels or a rack.
1 serving (of 16): 336 calories, 30.3g fat (3.6g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 10g carbohydrates (0.6g sugars, 0.5g fibre), protein 6.7g.
Prep: 40m | Cook: 14m | Yield: 16 Pcs |
Macao Pork and Shrimp Croquette Recipe
Croquete de Porco e Camarões
Deep fried shrimp and pork cracker breaded croquettes