Macao Salt Cod Cakes
Bolo de Bacalhau
■ 320g dried salted cod (soaked and hydrated)
■ 2 cups of panko breadcrumbs
■ 6 tablespoons of olive oil (90ml)
■ 1 teaspoon of mint finely chopped
■ 1 1/2 tablespoons of coriander finely chopped
■ 1 3/4 tablespoons of paprika
■ 1 tablespoons of chopped parsley
■ 1 egg lightly whisked
■ black pepper
■ 4 tablespoons of cooking oil
1. Put the salt cod in a saucepan, cover with water and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the cod is tender and will flake, tested with a knife, about 6-8 minutes. Drain the cod and place aside to cool.
2. Finely chop the coriander, the mint and parsley.
3. Transfer the salt cod to a cutting board and discard any skin and bones, then roughly flake the cod. Place the cod in a muslin cloth and roll with your palms to get a finer flake.
4. Mix the breadcrumbs with the olive oil in a bowl and stir until the breadcrumbs absorb all the oil.
5. Add the flaked salt cod, mint, coriander, parsley, paprika and black pepper to the breadcrumbs and mix well. Finally add the whisked egg and mix again.
6. Dust a plate or tray with breadcrumbs, form the salt cod mixture into 5cm diameter balls, place on the prepared plate and then flatten to form the fish cakes.
7. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
8. Heat 4 tablespoons of cooking oil in a frying pan. Cook the fish cakes on medium heat and cook for 4-5 minutes each side until the fish cakes are golden.
Prep: 20m | Cook: 10m | Yield: 14 Pcs | Easy
Shallow fried mini salt cod cakes flavoured with paprika and fresh herbs
Recipe adapted From: Felipe B Nery's english translation of Maria Celestina de Mello e Senna's cookbook "Bons Petiscos", 1972. Accessed online 2015, no longer available.
To Hydrate Dried Salt Cod place in cold water and store in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours, changing the water 3-4 times.
Ready frozen De-salted Salt Cod is sometimes available, in this case additional salt may need to be added to the recipe.