■ 160g|6oz dried salt cod (soaked and hydrated)
■ 300g|10oz potatoes peeled and roughly cut
■ 1 whole garlic clove, peeled
■ 1 egg lightly whisked
■ 1 tablespoon of finely chopped Italian parsley
■ 5-6 lemon wedges for garnish (optional)
■ 12 black olives for garnish (optional)
■ salt and pepper
■ 1 litre|quart of cooking oil
1. Peel and roughly cut the potatoes, transfer to a saucepan, cover with water and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and easily pierced with a small knife. Drain the potatoes and return them to the warm pan to dry and cool slightly.
2. Put the salt cod and garlic clove in a pan and cover with water. Heat the water to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the cod will flake, tested with a knife, about 6-8 minutes. Drain the cod and set aside to cool.
3. Mash the potatoes to a smooth texture using a potato masher, or grate and then mash. For a very fine potato mash sieve the potatoes through a wire strainer.
4. Transfer the salt cod to a cutting board, discard any skin and bones, and then roughly flake the cod. Put the cod in a muslin cloth and roll with your palms to get a finer flake.
5. In a bowl gently fold together the mashed potato, the shredded cod, the whisked egg and chopped parsley. Check for taste and add salt and pepper as required.
Shape a heaped dessertspoon of the mixture into an oblong ball shape, shaping and rounding it with another spoon. Put the fritters on a plate or tray lined with baking paper, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour before cooking.
6. Heat about 5cm|2" of cooking oil in a saucepan to 170˚C|340˚F. Gently place the bacalhau fritters into the oil 3-4 at a time and cook till golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the oil and allow to drain on paper towels or a rack. Serve with lemon wedges and black olives.
1 serving (of 20): 219 calories, 22.1g fat (2.3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 2.7g carbohydrates (0.1g sugars, 0.3g fibre), protein 2.5g.
Prep: 40m | Cook: 15m | Yield: 20 Pcs |
Macao Salt Cod and Potato Fritters Recipe
Bolinhos de Bacalhau
Recipe adapted from "Macanese Cooking: A Journey Across Generations", by Cecília Jorge, published by A.P.I.M, 2004
Salt cod and potato fritters flavoured with garlic and fresh herbs