■ 12 large shell-on prawns
■ spring onion finely chopped
■ 1 tablespoon of olive oil
■ 2 eggs whisked
■ 2 cups of breadcrumbs
■ 1 cup of flour
■ salt and pepper
■ 500g of cooking oil
For the Sauce
■ 1/4 medium red onion (45g), fiinely chopped
■ 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
■ 2 tablespoons of parsley, finely chopped
■ 3 tablespoons of olive oil
■ 3 tablespoons of hot water
■ 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika
■ 4 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
■ salt and pepper
1. To make the sauce dissolve the paprika in the hot water and white wine vinegar.
2. Finely chop the onion, garlic, and parsley and add to the paprika sauce, season with salt and black pepper. Make ahead and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Peel the prawns, removing the head and retaining the tail. Using a sharp knife cut deeply into the back of the large prawns horizontally between the top and the tail, be careful to the tail intact and open flat. Season with the olive oil, salt, pepper and spring onion. Mix through and refrigerate until ready to cook.
4. Whisk the 2 eggs in a bowl. Shake 1/2 of the breadcrumbs out onto a plate, and 1/2 the flour onto another. Season the flour with a pinch each of salt and white pepper.
5. Pass each prawn in the flour, then dip in the whisked egg and then turn in the breadcrumbs to cover. Then repeat the process for a double breading. Place on a plate, and continue breading the remaining prawns, replenishing the breadcrumbs as needed, until all the prawns are breaded. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
6. Heat 3-4 cm of oil in small frying pan and heat to 170˚C, gently place the breaded prawns in the oil a few at a time aligning the tails. Hold the edge of a spatula over the tails to stop the prawns from curling and fry for 2-3 minutes turning once until the prawns are golden. Transfer to rack to drain for a few minutes before serving.
Prep: 20m | Cook: 10m | Yield: 12 Pcs | Easy
Macao Breaded Prawns with Portuguese Molho Cru Recipe
Camarões Panados com Molho Cru
Translated and adapted from the recipe by Maria Celestina de Mello e Senna, Gastronomia Macaense - Receitas da Celestina 2, Projecto Memória Macaense
Double breaded deep fried prawns with Portuguese Molho Cru Sauce