■ 200g Mung bean sprouts, trimmed
■ 2 garlic cloves, minced
■ 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
■ 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
■ 6 spring onions, cut to thin strips
■ 120g Chinese Barbecue Pork, cut to thin strips
■ 12-16 medium to large shrimps or prawns, peeled
■ 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
■ 2 eggs, whisked and seasoned with salt and white pepper
■ 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
■ 2 tablespoons of water
■ 1 teaspoon of sugar
■ 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
■ 125g dried rice vermicelli
■ 5-6 tablespoons of oil
■ 1/4 cup of water, if required
■ 1/2 cup, or 60g Chinese sweet pickled ginger, cut to thin strips
■ 1/2 tablespoon of sesame seeds, toasted
■ sesame oil for drizzling
■ coriander leaves for garnish
1. Trim the mung bean sprouts, wash and drain. Grate the ginger and mince the garlic separately. Halve and thinly slice the onion. Separately cut the spring onion, barbecue pork and pickled ginger to thin strips.
2. Mix the shrimp with half of the minced garlic, the grated ginger and olive oil and set aside to marinate.
3. Whisk the eggs in bowl and season with salt and white pepper. In a separate bowl mix 2 tablespoons each of light soy sauce and water with the sugar, salt, white pepper and set aside.
4. Put the vermicelli noodles in a bowl and cover with room temperature water. Soak until softened, about 7 minutes, cut into half lengthwise, rinse and set aside to drain.
5. Heat a small non-stick frying pan and dry fry the sesame seeds on low heat untill they just start to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
6. Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper, add 1-2 tablespoons of oil and swirl around the bottom and sides. Pour in the whisked eggs tilting the pan so the egg covers the bottom of the pan, cook on medium heat till set, about 4 minutes, then lift one edge and roll up in the pan. Transfer to a cutting board, shred thinly and set aside.
7. Heat 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil in a wok or large skillet and quickly fry the bean sprouts, onion, green onion and the remaining minced garlic, season with salt and cook 3-4 minutes until softened and glossy. Scoop out of the pan and set aside.
8. Add a little more oil and fry the marinated shrimp or prawns until they colour and are just cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
9. Add a little more oil to the pan and then the vermicelli. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes, adding a little water if the vermicelli sticks, then mix through first the bean sprout mixture, then the barbecue pork, the sweet pickled ginger and the shrimp. Drizzle the soy sauce mixture around the edge of the pan and stirring continue to cook for a few more minutes.
Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with sesame oil, garnish with the shredded egg, toasted sesame seeds and coriander.
Prep: 25m | Cook: 25m | Serves: 4 |
Macao Vermicelli and Shrimp Stir Fry Recipe
Recipe adapted from "Macanese Cooking: A Journey Across Generations", by Cecília Jorge, published by A.P.I.M, 2004
Rice vermicelli stir fry with shrimp, bean sprouts, Chinese barbecued pork, onions and sweet pickled ginger