■ 450g|1lb firm white fish
■ 8 large prawns or shrimp, head and shell removed
■ 320g|12oz crab, cooked, shell removed
■ 1 red onion finely chopped
■ 1 onion finely chopped
■ 2 cloves of garlic, minced
■ 1 cup|240ml of olive oil, divided
■ 2 bay leaves
■ 450g|1lb tomato, minced or 1x 340g|12oz can of crushed tomatoes
■ salt and pepper
■ 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
■ 1/2 teaspoon of cracked red pepper
■ 2 cups|480ml of white wine
■ 1/2 cup|120ml, or more, of water
■ fresh coriander, chopped for garnish
To serve (optional):
■ 4 small baguettes, halved lengthwise
■ 2 garlic cloves halved
■ olive oil for drizzling
1. Cut the fish to rectangular slices or large cubes, season with salt and pepper. Clean and shell the prawns, keeping the tails intact as preferred, shell the crab. Refrigerate the seafood until ready to cook.
2. Finely chop separately the red onion, onion. tomatoes and mince the garlic.
3. Heat the 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil in a casserole and add the onions, cook on medium heat until they soften, then add the garlic and cook a few more minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, the wine, water, bay leaves and cracked red chilli, salt and sugar. Heat the sauce to a boil, and then simmer for about 25 minutes. Add a little more water if required.
4. Heat olive oil in a frying pan and fry the fish till golden on each side, remove the fish from the pan and set aside, then fry the prawns till just pink, remove from the pan and finally fry the crab lightly for 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove the bay leaves from the sauce, and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil stir through and heat the sauce to a simmer. Put the fish, crab, and prawns on top of the sauce, cover with a lid and let the stew simmer for 4-5 minutes then sprinkle with chopped coriander before serving.
For the garlic bread:
Halve the baguettes lengthwise and toast under the grill till golden, rub the bread with the garlic cloves and drizzle with olive oil.
Prep: 30m | Cook: 35m | Serves: 4 |
Caldeirada à moda de Macau
Macao Seafood Stew Recipe
Translated and adapted from the recipe by Maria Celestina de Mello e Senna, Gastronomia Macaense - Receitas da Celestina 1, Projecto Memória Macaense
Mixed seafood stew with fish, shrimp and crab served in a rich tomato sauce with garlic bread for dipping.