■ 500g|1.25lb dried salt cod (soaked and hydrated)
■ 3 potatoes, peeled, par-boiled and sliced to rounds
■ 2 shallots, quartered
■ 1/4 onion, diced
■ 2 red bell peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
■ 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
■ 450g|1lb tomatoes, skinned, sliced and deseeded
■ 12 pitted black olives
■ 2 tablespoons of Lea & Perrins sauce
■ 2 eggs hard boiled and sliced for garnish
■ mint leaves or parsley for garnish
■ 9 tablespoons of olive oil
■ equipment: ovenproof casserole
1. Put the salt cod in a pan, cover with water and heat to a boil. Cover, turn off the heat and let the cod stand for 10 minutes before draining. Break the cod into large chunks and season with pepper.
2. Peel the potatoes, place whole in a pan of water and heat to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and slice to rounds.
3. Heat a large pan of water to a boil, add the tomatoes and simmer covered until the skins split, 3-4 minutes. Remove the tomatoes and let cool slightly before peeling, slicing and de-seeding.
4. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan and saute the tomato slices for 2-3 minutes turning once, remove from the pan and set aside.
5. Peel and quarter the shallots, de-seed the red bell peppers and chop to a medium dice. Peel and chop the onion and garlic finely.
6. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan, add the shallots, onion, garlic and bell peppers, fry over medium heat until the onions start to brown. Add the salt cod, stir through the onion mixture and then turn off the heat.
7. Pre-heat the oven to 160˚C|320˚F.
8. Layer the potato slices over the bottom of the casserole dish, then layer on the salt cod mixture and finish with a layer of the sliced sauteed tomatoes and olives.
9. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of Lea and Perrins sauce over the dish. Bake the casserole in the pre-heated oven for 1 hour.
10. Whilst the casserole is cooking hard boil the eggs, let them cool before peeling and slicing.
11. Garnish the casserole with the sliced eggs and fresh mint leaves before serving.
Prep: 10m | Cook: 45m | Serves: 4-6 | Easy
Macao Baked Salt Cod Celestina Recipe
Bacalhau à Celestina
Salt cod baked with potato, tomatoes and a garlic, red pepper and onion sauce
To hydrate Dried Salt Cod place in cold water and store in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours, changing the water 3-4 times.
Ready frozen De-salted Salt Cod is sometimes available, in this case additional salt may need to be added to the recipe.
Recipe adapted From: Felipe B Nery's english translation of Maria Celestina de Mello e Senna's cookbook "Bons Petiscos", 1972. Accessed online 2015, no longer available.