■ 200g|8oz dried salt cod (soaked and hydrated)
■ 1-1/2 cups|270g of rice
■ 1/2 red onion, quartered
■ 2 red bell peppers, deseeded and quartered
■ 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
■ 1/4 teaspoon of madras curry powder
■ 3 cups|720ml of water
■ black pepper
■ 2 eggs, hard boiled and sliced for garnish
■ 10 pitted black olives for garnish
■ 2 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Remove any skin and bones from the cod, and cut into 3cm pieces.
2. Peel and quarter the 1/2 red onion. De-seed and quarter the red peppers. Hard boil the eggs.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the red onion and bell pepper quarters and fry for 4-5 minutes, add the turmeric and curry powder and continue to fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add the salt cod and stir through to coat the cod in the spices, cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
5. Add 3 cups|720ml of water and 1-1/2 cups of rice to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked and all the liquid absorbed.
6. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with the sliced hard boiled eggs and olives.
Prep: 10 | Cook: 30m | Serves: 4-6 | Easy
Macao Salt Cod Rice Recipe
Arroz de Bacalhau
Salt cod rice with bell peppers, onion and a light turmeric-curry flavouring
To hydrate Dried Salt Cod place in cold water and store in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours, changing the water 3-4 times.
Ready frozen De-salted Salt Cod is sometimes available, in this case additional salt may need to be added to the recipe.
Recipe adapted From: Felipe B Nery's english translation of Maria Celestina de Mello e Senna's cookbook "Bons Petiscos", 1972. Accessed online 2015, no longer available.