■ 680g|1.5lb peeled shrimps
■ 8 spring onions, sliced to 5cm|2" strips.
■ 3cm|1" ginger, peeled and minced
■ 1 red onion, finely chopped
■ 6 small red chillies finely chopped
■ 3 shallots finely chopped
■ 20 okras
■ 2 teaspoons of Curry Powder
■ 2 large tomatoes peeled and finely chopped, or substitute 1 cup of crushed tinned tomatoes
■ salt and black pepper
■ 1-1/2 cups|360ml of water
■ 6 tablespoons of cooking oil
1. Wash and drain the shrimps. Slit the shrimps from top to tail down the back with a sharp knife, without separating. Put in a bowl and season with black pepper.
2. Slice the spring onions to strips, mince or grate the ginger and add to the shrimps. Mix the seasonings well through the shrimp, cover and refrigerate for 1/2 hour or more.
3. Wash the okra and trim off the tops and tails. Finely chop the onion, shallots and chilli separately.
4. To prepare fresh tomatoes; heat 10cm|4" of water in a pan to a boil, add the tomatoes, cover and simmer for approximately 3 minutes or until the skins split. Peel and finely chop the tomatoes.
5. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and shallots and fry until tanslucent, about 4 minutes. Turn down the heat; add the chili and curry powder and cook, stirring, for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan; add 1-1/2 cups|360ml of water and salt. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the sauce, stirring from time to time, till the liquid reduces and the tomatoes breakdown.
7. Add the shrimps to the sauce, increase the heat and stir the shrimp through the sauce for 2-3 minutes. Remove the sauce and shrimp from the frying pan and set aside whilst the okra is cooked.
8. Heat 3 more tablespoons of oil in the frying pan; add the okra and fry, turning, for 3 to 4 minutes. Add a 1/4 cup|60ml of water to the pan, cover and simmer till the okra is tender and easily pierced with a knife, about 4 minutes.
9. Add the shrimps and sauce back to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes to heat through. Serve immediately
Caril de Camarão e Quiabo
Prep: 30m | Cook: 20m | Serves: 4-6 | Easy
Macao Shrimp and Okra Curry Recipe
Recipe adapted from "Macanese Cooking: A Journey Across Generatons", by Cecília Jorge, published by A.P.I.M, 2004
Easy spicy shrimp and whole fried okra curry. Substitute tinned tomatoes for fresh to save some prep time.