■ 600g squid rings and tentacles (900g whole)
■ 2 cups of rice
■ 2 red onions, cut to wedges
■ 4 whole cloves
■ 2 bay leaves
■ 2 whole ginger root, peeled and minced
■ 6 medium tomatoes, quartered
■ 4 cups of water
■ black pepper
■ 4 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Mix squid in a bowl with half the minced ginger, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Peel and cut the red onions each to 8 wedges. Quarter the tomatoes.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan; add the onions and fry until translucent.
4. Add the rice, cloves, the remaining ginger and bay leaves to the pan and continue to cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the quartered tomatoes to the pan and 2 cups of water, season with salt and pepper. Bring the pan to a boil, lower the heat and simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the liquid absorbed.
6. About five minutes before the rice is ready, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan to sizzling. Add the squid and sear for 2-3 minutes until opaque. Transfer the squid and any crispy ginger pieces to a dish and cover to keep warm.
7. Remove the bay leaves from the rice and serve topped with the seared squid.
Prep: 10 | Cook: 30m | Serves: 4-6 | Easy
Macao Squid Rice Recipe
Arroz de Lula
Seared squid with onion, tomato, and ginger seasoned rice