■ 500g dried salt cod (soaked and hydrated)
■ 16 quail eggs, hard boiled and peeled
■ 4 medium potatoes, peeled, cut to half moons
■ 1 1/2 medium onions, halved and cut to half moons
■ 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
■ bunch coriander, torn or chopped
■ 2 tablespoons of coconut milk
■ 1/2 cup of reserved cooking water
■ white pepper
■ 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
■ 16 pitted black olives
■ 16 pitted green olives
■ 3-4 sprigs of rosemary, chopped
1. Peel the potatoes, slice to half moons and put in a bowl of cold water.
2. To cook the quail eggs bring a large pan of water to a boil. Gently lower the quail eggs into the water with a spoon. Cook for 3 minutes and then remove with a spoon to a bowl of cold water to cool.
3. Place the salt cod in a pan with enough water to cover. Heat to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove the cod from the pan and reserve the liquid to cook the potatoes. Remove the skin and any bones from the cod, break the cod into medium sized chunks and set aside.
4. Cook the sliced potatoes in the reserved salt cod cooking water, simmer for about 8 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the pan and set aside, reserve the cooking liquid.
5. Peel and slice the onions to half rings, peel and chop the garlic finely.
6. Carefully peel the cooled the quail eggs.
7. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the onion and fry over medium heat until translucent, add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes.
8. Rip up the coriander and add to the pan, then add the salt cod, the potatoes, the green and black olives, the quail eggs, the coconut milk and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid. Season with white pepper and stir through.
9. Heat the stew to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes stirring gently. Remove from the heat, transfer to a serving dish and drizzle generously with olive oil and chopped rosemary.
Prep: 40m | Cook: 10m | Serves: 4-6 | Easy
Macao Salt Cod Stew Recipe
Translated and adapted from the recipe "Bacalhoada à Tia Anita" (Clube Macau), Gastronomia Macaense - Comunidade Macaense de São Paulo e do Rio de Janeiro, Pagina 3, Projecto Memória Macaense
Salt cod stew with potatoes, quail eggs and a coconut, garlic and coriander sauce
To hydrate Dried Salt Cod place in cold water and store in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours, changing the water 3-4 times.
Ready frozen De-salted Salt Cod is sometimes available, in this case additional salt may need to be added to the recipe.