Translated and adapted from the recipe "Balichão Adaptado" à moda de Maria Isabel Pedruco, Gastronomia Macaense - Comunidade Macaense de São Paulo e do Rio de Janeiro, Projecto Memória Macaense
Prep: 20m |
Macao Shrimp Paste Recipe
■ 225g|8oz jar of shrimp sauce
■ 2 dried chilli peppers
■ 1 whole lemon
■ 1/2 tablespoon of black peppercorns
■ 1/2 tablespoon of white peppercorns
■ 2 whole cloves
■ 2 bay leaf
■ 1/2 cup|120ml of Shao Hsing wine
1. Put the shrimp paste into a bowl.
2. Roughly chop the lemon including the rind, place in a mini blender with the chillies, peppercorns, cloves, bay leaf and rice wine. Blend.
3. Add the spices to the shrimp paste and mix through well.
4. Sterilize a jar with boiling water, air dry and transfer the Balichão to the jar. Seal and keep in the refrigerator for 7 days before using.
5. To use; heat a 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a pan, add the required measure of Balichão and gently fry with other spices such as ginger and garlic. Store remaining Balichão in the refrigerator.
This cooking condiment is an quick variation of the Macao shrimp paste "Balichão", found in dishes such as Lacassá Soup and Porco Balichão-Tamarinho