■ 450g|1lb choy sum, washed and trimmed
■ 100g|3.5oz dried shitake mushrooms, rehydrated
■ 1/2 medium red bell pepper, de-seeded and sliced thinly
■ 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
■ 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
■ 9 -10 water chestnuts (canned), drained
■ 2 tablespoons of chinese chilli and garlic sauce
■ 1/2 cup|120ml of water or chicken stock
■ 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
1. Soak the shiitake mushrooms in boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain; remove the stems, rinse and dry. Slice finely.
2. Peel and finely chop the shallots and garlic. De-seed the 1/2 bell pepper, rinse and slice thinly.
3. Drain the water chestnuts, rinse with water and dry. If the water chestnuts are large cut in half.
4. Heat a large frying pan or wok and add the water or stock, when the stock is simmering add; the onions, bell pepper and shitake mushrooms, stirring cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the garlic, drained water chestnuts, the chilli and garlic sauce; stir through and cook for 2 more minutes.
6. Add all the choy sum to the pan, cover and cook until the leaves are wilted, about 3 minutes.
7. Sprinkle the light soy sauce over the vegetables and gently turn the vegetables in the pan. Transfer to a dish or bowl to serve.
1 serving (of 4): 104 calories, 0.3g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 24g carbohydrates (3.5g sugars, 3g fibre), protein 3.8g.
Prep: 40m | Cook: 10m | Serves: 4-5 | Easy
Macao Style Choy Sum Recipe
Choy Sum de Macao
Choy sum with bell peppers, water chestnuts, shitake mushrooms and garlic chilli sauce