■ 500g|1lb cauliflower
■ 1 cup|120g of plain flour
■ 6 tablespoons of chopped mint
■ 3 eggs whisked
■ salt and pepper
■ 6 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Slice the cauliflower vertically in 2-3cm|1" slices, then cut back the stalk and divide each slice to 2-3 flat florets. Wash and drain.
2. Chop the mint finely. Spread the flour on a plate, mix in the mint, salt and pepper.
3. Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
4. Heat 6cm|2.5" of water in the bottom of a steamer pan. Put the cauliflower in the steamer basket, cover and steam for 10-15 minutes until just tender.
5. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
6. Turn the branches of cauliflower in the minted flour, dip in the whisked egg, shake off any excess and fry the cauliflower pieces, turning, until golden about 5 minutes.
1 serving (of 5): 273 calories, 17.2g fat (2.5g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 25.1g carbohydrates (2.6g sugars, 3.7g fibre), protein 7g.
Prep: 10m | Cook: 25m | Serves: 4-5 | Easy
Translated and adapted from the recipe by Maria Celestina de Mello e Senna, Gastronomia Macaense - Receitas da Celestina 3, Projecto Memória Macaense
Macao Minted Cauliflower Recipe
Shallow fried mint battered cauliflower