■ 225g|8oz dried salt cod (soaked and hydrated)
■ 1/2 cup|120ml of coconut milk
■ 40g|1.5oz red onion, finely chopped
■ 20g|3/4oz onion, finely chopped
■ 6 green onion sprigs, finely chopped
■ 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
■ 1 red chilli, finely chopped
■ 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
1. Finely chop the onions and chilli separately.
2. Heat the oven to 100˚C|210˚F.
3. Boil enough water in a saucepan to cover the cod, reduce the heat to a simmer and add the cod. Cook the cod for 8-10 minutes until it flakes easily, tested with a knife.
4. Drain the cod, transfer to a cutting board and remove any skin and bones. Break the cod into individual flakes; put the flakes in a muslin cloth and roll with the palms until the cod breaks into fine shreds or floss.
5. Line a baking tray with non-stick cooking paper, spread the cod floss over the pan separating it as much as possible. A pair of chopsticks is useful for this. Dry the shredded cod in the oven for 10 minutes and set aside.
6. In a frying pan heat the oil; add the chopped onions and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat, add the turmeric powder and continue to cook for a further minute.
7. Continually stirring; add the shredded cod and coconut milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the chilli.
8. Cook on high heat stirring constantly to separate the cod strands and avoid burning or sticking. Cook until all the liquid is absorbed and the cod floss is golden and crispy.
9. Transfer the crispy cod floss to a paper towel to drain, before serving as an accompaniment to rice.
Prep: 20 | Cook: 10m | Serves: 4-6 |
Macao Salt Cod Rice Topping Recipe
Chut-ney de Bacalhau
Translated and adapted from the recipe by Maria Celestina de Mello e Senna, Gastronomia Macaense - Receitas da Celestina 3, Projecto Memória Macaense
Turmeric, chilli and coconut infused salt cod topping for steamed rice
To hydrate Dried Salt Cod place in cold water and store in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours, changing the water 3-4 times.
Ready frozen De-salted Salt Cod is sometimes available, in this case additional salt may need to be added to the recipe.