■ 450g potatoes peeled and cut to 12mm dice
■ 225g onion peeled and finely chopped
■ 225g kale leaves finely shredded (approx.340g kale)
■ 2 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped (optional)
■ 4 cups of water
■ 110g chouriço sausage, sliced thinly
■ 2 tablespoons of olive oil
■ salt and pepper
1. Peel the potatoes and cut to a 12mm dice. Place in a bowl of water to prevent browning.
2. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic separately, and set aside. Slice the chouriço sausage thinly.
3. Strip the kale leaves from the stalks, wash and drain. Shred finely and set aside.
4. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan, add the sliced chouriço, cook until the oil is released and the slices are crispy. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel.
5. Add the remaining oil to the same saucepan, add the chopped onion and stirring, fry until translucent. Add the chopped garlic and cook one more minute.
6. Drain the peeled potatoes and stir into the pan, cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the water and simmer the potatoes for 15 -20 minutes until cooked. Turn off the heat.
7. Break up the potatoes in the pan with a potato masher and re-heat the soup, add the kale, reserving a little for garnish, and cook for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Put the soup in a blender, or use a stick blender and pulse 2-3 times for a smoother texture. Add the chouriço sausage to the soup, reserving some for garnish, and heat through.
9. To serve, transfer to a serving dish or bowl, garnish with the reserved chouriço and shredded kale.
Prep: 15m | Cook: 25m | Serves: 4-6 | Easy
Macao Potato and Kale Soup Recipe
Translated and adapted from the recipe "Caldo Verde à Tia Anita" (Clube Macau), Gastronomia Macaense - Comunidade Macaense de São Paulo e do Rio de Janeiro, Pagina 3, Projecto Memória Macaense
Potato and kale soup spiced with chouriço sausage