■ 250g rice, soaked and drained
■ 10 spring onion green sprigs, finely chopped
■ 60g lard, plus extra for greasing the mould
■ 4 cups of water
■ salt and pepper
1. Finely chop the spring onions
2. Heat 1/2 the lard in a saucepan and gently fry the spring onions, season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the rice and stir through to distribute the lard and the spring onions.
4. Add the water and heat to a boil, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked and the liquid has evaporated.
5. Rub a little lard around the bottom and sides of a shallow dish or pan. Turn the rice into the mould and cut the remaining lard over the top.
6. Cover the rice with non-stick paper and then press the rice down firmly to compact the rice into a cake.
7. To serve, invert onto a serving plate to turn out.
Prep: 10m | Cook: 20m | Serves: 4-5 | Easy
Macao Pressed Spring Onion Rice Recipe
Translated and adapted from the recipe by Maria Celestina de Mello e Senna, Gastronomia Macaense - Receitas da Celestina 1, Projecto Memória Macaense
Pressed rice flavoured with spring onion to accompany braised meats