Prep: 5m | Cook: 30m
Red Onion and Prawn Dipping Sauce Recipe
Easy Red Onion and Prawn dipping sauce for fried prawns
■ 1 red onion, roughly chopped
■ prawn shells and heads
■ 1- 2 cups of water
■ 3 tablespoons of oil
■ 1 tablespoon of flour
■ salt and pepper
■ 1/2 bay leaf
1. Roughly chop the red onions.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the prawn shells and heads and fry until they turn pink about 4 minutes, add the red onions and fry the shells and onions on medium heat until the onions are very soft about 5 minutes.
3. Add water to cover the shells, a cup or more, the bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Bring the stock to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or more, add a little more water as required.
4. Pour the stock through a strainer, pressing out all the sauce, deglaze the pan with a little water and strain this too.
5. Return the sauce to the pan and heat through, mix a little of the sauce with the flour and then add to the pan, season with salt and pepper, cook until the sauce thickens slightly.