■ 225g|8oz yams
■ 90g|3/4 cup plain flour
■ 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
■ 2 eggs, separated
■ salt and pepper
■ 1 litre|quart of cooking oil
1. Peel and cut the yam to fine matchsticks about 5cm|2" long and place in a bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt over the yam sticks and with a wooden spoon mix in the salt with a press and stir motion. Add half a cup of water and mix through. Then wash and drain the yam. Season the yam sticks with plenty of salt and pepper.
2. In a mixing bowl beat the egg yolks and then gradually add the flour and baking powder. The result will be a dry crumbly flour mixture.
3. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks and then add to the flour mix, folding in gently.
4. Finally add the yam sticks to the batter a small amount at a time and fold through.
5. Place about 5cm|2" of oil in heavy saucepan and heat to 170˚C|340˚F. Scoop out a portion of batter coated yam with a serving spoon and place in the hot oil, adding a few at a time. Fry the puffs for 4-5 minutes, turning once, until they are golden. Drain on a rack or paper towels.
1 serving (of 18): 305 calories, 29.7g fat (3.1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 8.8g carbohydrates (0.1g sugars, 0.8g fibre), protein 1.6g.
Prep: 10m | Cook: 25m | Yield: 15 pcs | Easy
Macao Yam Fritters Recipe
Fofinhos de Inhame
Deep fried battered yam snack or side dish